Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The First Review...Sicilian Night

Tonight I had two different wines with the chicken piccata I made with friends. The first, which we drank while cooking, was called "Fuedo Arancio", a 2008 Nero D'Avola from Sicily. I know and love many of the different Nero D'Avolas, but this particular one is very inexpensive, (always a plus when you're a college student,) and simply...delicious. It was dry and a little on the strong side, which is what I love in a red wine. Needless to say I would recommend it to a friend. However, if you like your red wine a little sweeter, I would suggest the second wine I had, a Merlot, also from 2008, called "Ecco Domani". This flavorful red is also from Sicily (can you tell I have Sicilian ancestors and am a little biased?) but is completely different from the Nero D'Avola. Tasting this Merlot after the slightly spicy Fuedo Arancio was like drinking candy! Though it is not truly too sweet or fruity, the difference in the two wines is very obvious. The best part about both of these wines, besides the fact that they are both under $10, is enjoying them with friends over a home-cooked meal.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not going to critique your work, as I think Jon had some pretty good suggestions! I just want to say I can't believe you guys are seniors in college and I'm impressed you are taking the time and putting in the effort to start a blog! Linnea told me about it today. I hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well described! I could almost taste them! I agree with you, I prefer dry wines over sweet ones as well. This is great! I can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could not agree more! Both wines are delicious and could compliment different foods. Your description was perfect and would help anyone (who does not know much about wine) make a decision on which one to buy. Usually, when reading blogs like yours, I have to pull out the dictionary just to figure out what they're saying, so I really like that you are speaking to the common person who is just looking for the right bottle for a certain occasion. Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete